Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fast food, little fuss

I love fast food – not so much for the flavor and certainly not for it’s nutritional contents, but, well because it’s fast. Some nights I need fast, with few dishes and little fuss. And I’m finding healthy foods I can cook quickly.

Fish. Tuesday I sprinkled salt pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes on some pieces of tilapia – threw them on a baking sheet covered in foil to minimize the clean-up and with a little broccoli steamed in the microwave had a healthy meal in about 10 minutes. I was so proud of myself. It was so easy to eat healthy, and so much faster actually, than commuting in rush hour traffic to pick up a soggy taco. The meal reminded me that I have to be a little more creative and continue developing new beliefs about food. Cooking doesn’t have to be hard, if you fill the freezer and the fridge with the right foods. With the broiled fish, we had little clean up. A healthy – even good tasting -- meal at our own table. Slowly, things are changing around here. We’ll still go out to eat – sure. But, there are plenty of ways to cook a meal without spending an hour in the kitchen. A year ago, I would have had a hard time recognizing that.

No comments: