Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Experiencing the new....

Experiencing the new.....rheumatologist! Having to find a new rheumatologist is the inevitable when you move 2,000 miles across country. I can honestly say this is one type of change that is extremely difficult to deal with.

I had such an amazing patient-doctor relationship with my previous rheumatologist in Phoenix. He valued my opinion and respected the fact that I know my body better than anyone else. He was aware that I take a proactive approach to my health care with this disease. Having rheumatoid arthritis for the past 7 years has made me pay attention to my body more than I ever. I know what makes me flare...I know what my body requires...I know what side effects have resulted from certain medicines, etc. If we simply pay attention, our body communicates to us in many ways.

Yesterday, I was sitting in the lobby waiting to see my new rheumatologist and was flipping through magazines to pass time. I came across the latest Arthritis Today magazine and immediately flipped open to the Achieving Change article written by Polly Campbell. I had read the article prior to this but had not actually seen it in magazine print. It was a truly calming moment for me. I was absolutely fearing the change of a new rheumatologist but after seeing the article and my picture, it put me at ease. It quickly reminded me of the motto I live by...."I refuse to let this disease get the best of me." In doing so, I need the assistance and partnership of a medical professional.

No comments: