Friday, May 23, 2008

Getting quiet

Still thinking about what I wrote last week about how much energy I spend tying up loose ends. I, like a lot of women I know, do the things I should do – even if they take a toll on my physical health. I’m done doing that. Of course I'll keep up with regular chores and responsibilities, but I'm done with the extra things that I end up doing even though I don't want to. Instead, I’m going to take a stand for me. I am taking a stand for optimal health. Some days that might mean taking a nap instead of taking out the garbage. And I think I need to do a better job of communicating, to the people I love in my life, that I can no longer maintain the frantic pace I’ve kept up. I can no longer do it all, nor do I want to. I want a more relaxed, peaceful life. And being healthy is about more than exercise, it also means living with greater awareness, peace and compassion. For me, and for all of us, I really believe those qualities evolve from quiet. When I slow down, when I settle down and reflect – even just a few minutes a day – I feel better, more connected, more energized. Getting quiet, helps me get clear and that is part of being healthy.

No comments: